B.Tech. Aeronautical Engineering or Bachelor of Technology in Aeronautical Engineering is an undergraduate Aerospace engineering course. Aeronautical engineering is the primary branch of engineering behind the design, construction, and science of aircraft and spacecraft.
Aeronautical engineering covers all thing related to air specialties and rockets - from their design to development and science. it's sub-partitioned into two major branches, which additional or less covers each other: aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering. Aeronautical engineering, for the most part offers with air crafts that stay inside the Earth's environment, astronautical engineering, on the other hand manages spacecraft working out of entryways of Earth's environment. Aeronautical Engineering is a standout among the most extreme fields of designing with an enormous extension for development. This discipline offers the change of new innovation in the field of aviation, space investigation and defense systems. It specifies in the Planning, Generation, Improvement, Looking at, Activity and Maintenance of each Commercial and Military Aircraft, Spacecraft's and their Segments and Satellites and Rockets.
Courses & Eligibility
The eligibility criteria of Aeronautical Engineering are as follows:
- An eligibility criterion for taking admission into this course is to pass in 10+2 class examinations with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as major subjects. Students should have obtained an impressive aggregate.
- Next step is of clearing the Joint Entrance Examinations (J.E.E.) conducted by IIT's in January and May every year. Several other institutes conduct their own entrance examinations.
- Other criteria involve having good eyesight, acute observation power, ability to handle crisis situations, effective communication skills, and an analytical brain.
- The average tuition fee charged for the course is between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs. There are many govt. and private colleges for Aeronautical Engineering course. Fees will be different for the different institution.
B Tech program in Aeronautical Engineering is a 4 years program. These 4 years are divided into 8 semesters, each lasting for a duration of 6 months. Topics cover under each semester are as follows:
Calculus and Solid Geometry
Engineering Chemistry & Environmental Studies
Basic Electrical Engineering
Basic Mechanical Engineering
Basic Electronics Engineering & Information Technology
Basic Civil Engineering
Engineering Mathematics II
Elements of Aeronautics
Economics and Communication Skills
Basic Strength of Materials
Electrical technology & Machines
Aircraft Structures I
Engineering Mathematics III
Engineering Mathematics IV
Principles of Management
Flight Dynamics I
Aircraft Structures II
Theory of Vibration
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Aircraft systems and instrumentation
Experimental stress analysis
Flight dynamics II
Air transportation & Aircraft maintenance
Introduction to space technology
There are lots of organizations which select the Aeronautical Engineers. The work fields of the aeronautical engineers are turning into the more extensive with the developing innovation over the world. Not only you can get the job after completion of B.Tech. you could also be part of a Junior studies Fellow in leading research companies.
Some of the job posts are as the following:
- Thermal Design Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Aerospace Designer Checker
- Graduate Engineer Trainees
- Assistant Technical Officers
- Assistant Aircraft Engineers
- Aircraft Production Manager
Pay & Remuneration
Fresher salary is generally between Rs.15000 to Rs. 30000 per month. This remuneration depends a lot on the quality of the Institute from which the Graduate has pursued the course as well as the profile of the employer. In the case of Government job, salary will be fixed, as per the pay band.
Aeronautical Engineers Jobs also are there in the defense sector, specifically the public sector DRDO, that comes below the ministry of defense. These engineering jobs offer the standard compensation as in another Public sector agency.
There are many persons who have made a mark in the field of Aeronautical Engineering. One of the Famous Personality's bibliography is as follows:
N.S. Prabhakar Naidu: The first batch of aeronautical engineers to graduate from the Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1952, passed away in Seattle, u.s. on 6 August 2011. N.S. Prabhakar Naidu became an outstanding technocrat who innovative ideas that contributed to advanced aircraft design, performance, safety, and reliability.
Prabhakar Naidu had worked with renowned and reputed aircraft manufacturers such as Handley page in England in constructing the herald passenger aircraft structures, Beverly air freighters and Buccaneer naval jet combatants. He flight-tested the well known Folland Gnat jet opponents. He worked with short brothers in Ireland in which he was into flight-testing and performance-analyzing the Royal Air force's turbo fighter Belfast.
The Folland Gnat, developed for the Royal Airforce, became well called the mount for the RAF's Red Arrows aerobatic group and was first exported to Finland, Yugoslavia, and India. In later years, the Indian Airforce has become its largest operator and eventually manufactured the aircraft under license before developing Ajit, a modified and improved variation.
He worked with Boeing in Seattle in the US and generated the FAA approved performance Flight Manuals for the famous fleet of B727, B737, and the B747. these aircraft needed to be flight-tested prior to sale to commercial airlines.
He taught aircraft design and production at the MIT and effectively flight-tested the primary Sail aircraft designed in India by a group of students and team of workers of the MIT.
Top Colleges in India
There are some top colleges for Aeronautical Engineering in India. they are given below:
|Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay|
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Indian Institute of Technology, Shibpur
Madras Institute of Technology
Academy of Aerospace & Aviation, Indore
Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dehradun
Academy of Aviation & Engineering, BangaloreAcademy of Aviation Engineering and Technology (AAET), Visakhapatnam, Andra Pradesh
Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore
Aerospace Engineering & Research Organisation, Pune
Ahmedabad Institute of Aeronautical Engineering & Information Technology, Ahmedabad
Hindustan College Of Engineering, Tamil Nadu
Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology (H.I.E.T), Chennai
Some of the references books are as following:
- Modern Compressible Flow with Historical Perspective By Anderson, J.D
- Elements of Gas Dynamics By Liepmann, H.W., and Roshko
- Fluid Mechanics By Landau, L.D., & Lifshitz, E.M
- Aerodynamics, Aeronautics & Flight Mechanics By McCormick, B.W
- Flight Stability and Automatic Control By Nelson, R.C
- Dynamics of Flight By Etkin, B. and Reid, L.D
- Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, and Flight Mechanics By McCormick, B.W
- Aerodynamics for Engineers By Bertin, J.J
- The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow By Shapiro, A.H
- Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students By Megson, T.H.G
- Aircraft Structures By Peery, D.J. and Azar, J.J
- Jet Propulsion By Cumpsty, N
- Gas Turbine Theory By Saravanamuttoo, H.I.H., Rogers, G.F.C. and Cohen, H
- Gas Turbine Engineering Handbook By Boyce, M.P
- Air Transportation: A Management Perspective By Wensven
- Global Airline Industry By Belobaba, P., Odoni, A. and Barnhart, C
- Airframe Analysis and Sizing By Niu, M.C
- Airframe Structural Design By Niu, M.C
- Elements of Gas Turbine Propulsion By Mattingly, J.D
- Fundamentals of Jet Propulsion with Applications By Flack, R.D
- Aerothermodynamics of Aircraft Engine Components By Oates, G.C
- Airline Operations and Scheduling By M. Bazargan, M
- Airport Planning and Management By Wells, A. and Young