M.Tech. Aeronautical Engineering is a postgraduate course in the discipline of aeronautic. The specializations offered for this course are ground vehicle systems, aircraft structures and materials, aerospace propulsion, electronic systems, structural design and engineering, navigational guidance and control systems, structural analysis, instrumentation and communication and transportation systems.
Main goal of this course is to provide the students with developing, designing, maintenance, testing, designing and construction of military aircraft, missile systems, civilian aircraft and aircraft engines. M.Tech. Aeronautical Engineering is a aggregate of the concepts and information of aerodynamics, aerospace structure, engineering design and aerospace vehicle design and their application in design and improvement of aircraft and spacecraft systems.
Courses & Eligibility
Eligibility criteria for this course is as follows
- Applicants should have B.Tech degree in these areas-Metallurgy & Material Science, Instrumentation, Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechanical, Automobile, Chemical, Electronics, Aerospace, Aeronautical, Mechanical, Naval Architecture, Electrical etc.
- Some universities may conduct their own entrance test. But Mainly, the scores of GATE are accepted for admissions in M. Tech. Aeronautical Engineering.
- Most of the institutions accept scores of entrance exams as admission mode.
- The average course fee ranges is from 1 to 3 lakh.
M. tech in Aeronautical Engineering is two years course. Which is divided into four semester. Different university has different course curriculum, Subjects covers under this semesters are given in detail here:
Finite Element Methods
Introduction to Aerospace Vehicles & systems
Aerodynamics & flight Mechanics
Elective I (Seminar)
Elective I (Solid Mechanics)
Elective I (Introduction to Avionics)
Elective I (Computational Fluid Dynamics & Wind Tunnel Testing)
High Speed Aerodynamics
Elective II (Project Phase I) 6 Weeks duration
Elective II (Seminar)
Elective II (Aircraft Navigation Systems)
Elective II (Airframe Structural Design)
Elective II(Helicopter Aerodynamics)
Flight Vehicle Design
Elective IV (Project Phase II) 5 Weeks duration
Elective IV (Evaluation of Phase I)
Elective III (Engine Testing & Performance Evaluation)
Elective III (Fatigue & Fracture Mechanics)
Elective III (Production Planning & Control & Quality Management & Assurance)
Elective IV (Aircraft Materials & Manufacturing Process)
Elective IV (Aircraft Dynamics & Automatic Flight Controls)
Elective IV (Advanced Topics in Propulation)
Evaluation of Phase II
Evaluation of Phase III
Project Evaluation & Viva Voce
After completing M. tech in Aeronautical Engineering you can get various job position in aeronautics industry are:
- Thermal Design Engineer
- Aerospace Design Checker
- Assistant Aircraft Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Aircraft Production Manager
Pay & Remuneration
An average salary of an Aeronautical Engineer is Rs 767,217 per year. Pay for this job will rise after more experience in this work, but will go down for the employees who have more than 20 years' experience.
Most employee with this job move on to other positions after 10 years in this career.
Famous personalities who have done this course are as follows:
- Frank Barnwell (1880 - 2 August 1938)
- Sydney Camm (5 August 1893 - 12 March 1966)
- Vladimir Chelomei (30 June 1914 - 12 August 1984)
- Paul Bernard Dilworth (31 January 1915 - 18 February 2007)
- Joe Engle (26 August 1932)
- Charbel Farhat
Top Colleges in India
Top colleges for Aeronautical Engineering across india are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science - [HITS], Chennai
- MVJ College of Engineering - [MVJCE], Bangalore
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science - [BITS],Pilani
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapurm.