M.Tech. Mechanical Engineering or Master of Technology in Mechanical Engineering is a postgraduate Mechanical Engineering course. It is a two years specialization program that deals with the study of materials science, mechanics, statics, kinematics, thermodynamics and structural analysis used in designing, development, construction, production, installation, operation and maintenance of tools, machines and various other mechanical equipment such as grinders, large steam and gas turbines, trucks, airplanes, automobiles, lathes, milling machines, trains, space vehicles, components of thermal power stations, internal combustion engines, jet engines, air conditioning and heating machines, refrigerators etc. To put it plainly, this degree course mainly focuses on the study of the utilization of the standards of mechanics and vitality to the plan of machines and gadgets. The M.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) programs in India are normally organized as an Engineering Research degree and being offered on large scale by most of the engineering institutes. M.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) course is is broad in nature covering all major areas of design, thermal and production engineering. Numerous elective subjects are made accessible to understudies with a specific end goal to empower them to spend significant time in any of the three noteworthy fields viz. design, thermal and production engineering.
Courses & Eligibility
The eligibilities for pursuing M.Tech. Mechanical Engineering are as follows:
- Student should have as a minimum 55% in aggregate in B.Tech. or equivalent in appropriate branch, whilst IITs like IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Jodhpur ask for 60% in aggregate and a valid GATE score.
- If someone has completed his/her B.Tech. diploma from an IIT with CGPA of 8.0 or above, he/she will be able to get direct admission in M.Tech. and will no longer need a GATE score. Eligibility criteria is same for part-time M.Tech. course.
- M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from an IIT will cost about Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 1 Lakh.
M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering program duration is 2 years which are divided in 4 equal semesters of 6 months period for each semester. Topics covered under each semester are as follows:
Advanced Engineering Maths
Principles of Machining Process
Computer Graphics & CAE
Numerical Control of Machine Tools
Non-traditional & Modern Machining
Pre-submission Defense of Dissertation
Post-submission Defense of Dissertation
There are no. of jobs for M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering postgraduates in government area and teaching quarter as well. however the packages aren't so high in government. area for freshers but there's a huge scope of promotions.
Job Positions that a Postgraduate student can get are given below:
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Associate Prof./Asst. Prof./Professor
- Mechanical Production Engineer
- Project Manager
- Mechanical Engineer
- Technical Writer (Machines)
- Manufacturing Manager
- Mechanical Engineer
Pay & Remuneration
Starting salary (depends on different factors) is generally Up to 12 Lacs per annum., in case of Graduates. Paying amount depends on your overall performance and any additional talents you obtain.
A mechanical engineer with 4 to 7 years experience will get more than a fresher get. The more experience you have the more pay you will get.
There are many Persons who have made a mark in the field of Mechanical Engineering. Some of the Famous Personalities are:
- William George Armstrong, 1st Baron Armstrong (1810–1900) – hydraulic power pioneer, founder of Armstrong Whitworth.
- Karl Benz (1844–1929) – generally regarded as the inventor of the gasoline-powered automobile, founder of Mercedes-Benz.
- Willis Carrier (1876–1950) – pioneered the design and manufacture of modern air conditioning systems.
- Robbie Dickson - worked on optimizing the braking system of supercars.
Top Colleges in India
In India there are many Universities and colleges that offer B Tech / B E and M Tech. Some of the top colleges offering the course are as follows:
|IIT's Which Offers Mechanical Engineering are|
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
Institute of Technology, Benaras Hindu University, Benaras.
Institute of Technology, Ropar
Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhi Nagar
Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneshwar
Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
Indian Institute of Technology, Patna
Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi
Institute of Technology,Indore
Institute of Technology, Rajsthan
|NIT's Which Offers Mechanical Engineering are|
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
NIT Arunachal Pradesh
Specializations & Their order of preference:
- Thermal Engineering
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Automobile Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Material Technology
- Industrial Engineering
- Product Design and Development
- Industrial Safety Engineering
Advance Courses in M.Tech. Mechanical Engineering are??
- M.Phil. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Ph.D (Mechanical Engineering)
For whom M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering Suitable ??
- They ought to have the capacity to design and organize, capable of careful attention to detail, practicing decision making ability and accepting responsibility.
- One ought to be able to take care of issues utilizing both rationale and creative/innovative approaches.
- They ought to be numerate and highly computer literate, with excellent analytical skills.
- The individuals who have moved toward getting to be educator and speaker after having passed the Master degree program can go for it.
What are the benefits of M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering ??
The benefits of M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering course are:
- M.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) degree can be applied in all other fields of engineering thus demand for a Mechanical Engineer is high compared to other engineers of different fields, so it fills in as a all-purpose engineering degree.
- It is to be noted that out of the a huge number of engineers employed by organizations, 30% of them are mechanical engineers.
- M.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering) degree holders can simply search for a profession in related occupations, for example, aerospace engineer, aeronautical engineer, automotive engineer, architect, a nuclear engineer, tool designer, and numerous different occupations.
- The new developing fields of biotechnology, materials science and nanotechnology will open different new employment zones for Mechanical Engineers.