Indian Engineering Services contain engineers who work under the government of India and assigned as Class – 1 officer. They control a vast fragment of general public sector economy, which constitutes of Indian Railways, Power, Telecommunications, Central Water building, Defense administration of Engineers, Central Engineering Service, and so forth. The idea of work performed by these civil servants to a great extent largely depends on their engineering branch and the service or cadre they are recruited in. The career progression goes easily accomplishing high regard. The primary position offered is that of Asst. Official designer and the hierarchy ends at the position of Chairman/ Managing Director.
A combined competitive examination is directed by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the Indian Engineering Services.
Note the UPSC IES application fees structure as given below:
- For applicant belonging to General/OBC Category - INR 200 /-
- For All Female applicants and applicants belonging to SC/ST & PH Category -No Fees
To apply for IES Exam follow the procedure given below:
- This is the first step of IES application form. Applicant in this part need to enter their name, parents name, gender, place of birth, name of the state, nationality, email address, password and mobile number. Check below for more details.
- Applicants should enter their name as recorded in the Secondary Examination Certificate. They should not prefix such as Shri/ Mr./ Ms./ Dr./ Mrs. Etc.
- Citizen of India, will be required to produce certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India.
- Enter e-mail address which is current and active
- Please choose maximum 10 digit and minimum 8 digit password which will be required each time while logining. Password must contain atleast one character and one number.
- Applicants must note that all the communication from UPSC will be made on the mobile number entered by them.
- Applicants will have to login with their registration ID and date of birth.
- Fee payment
- Choice of examination centre
- Uploading of scanned images of photograph and signature.
The Cut-Off details of IAS Exam:
- As there are three steps to clear the examination, every level has a cut off to enter into the following step. An applicant needs to clear all the three steps individually to pick as an IES Officer. If an applicant fails to clear the IES Pre-examination, He/she will not be permitted to write the IES main examination. To clear each of the three steps, the commission decides a cut-off, on the basis of the IES Cutoff list the applicants promoted to the following step. The IES cut Off for preliminary examination will be determined via the Union Public service commission out of 500 marks. applicants, who will clear the cutoff, will be eligible to write IES Mains examination.
- For the mains examination, united states will further release cutoff marks out of 600 to process the applicants to the third step. applicants who will secure marks equal to or greater than the cutoff marks will be called for the personality test/Interview.
- After the conduction of personality test, Union Public service commission will release the final IES Cutoff marks out of 1300 marks after the announcement of final results. united states will release a consolidated list of the selected applicant based on the category and the discipline. the selected applicants based on the final merit list will be posted as engineers in Ministry/Departments under the authorities of India.
Documents to be Carried
These are the important documents you should carry with you:
- Original certificate of Matriculation or equivalent to verify the Name and Date of Birth
- Original self-attested photocopy of the matriculation or equivalent certificate to verify the Name and Date of Birth
- Original degree certificate as proof of education qualification ( if original degree certificates have not been issued it is advised to carry provision certificates and/or mark-sheet)
- Self-attested photocopy of Degree certificates in original Mark-sheets of Degree in Original (Not mandatory but advised to candidates to carry along with them)
- Recent, 2 Passport Size photographs with one self-attested.
- Print-out of the e-Summon Letter
You should know the eligibility of IES exam before applying for it:-
- The applicant should have a bachelor's degree in engineering either B.E or B. Tech. from a recognized University or an Institution.
- Applicants having M. Sc. Degree in Electronics, Radio Engineering, Radio Physics and Wireless Engineering as special subjects are also applicable for some limited posts.
- The applicant should have Indian Citizenship
- The applicant has a citizenship of Nepal/Bhutan can also apply.
- A person from Tibet who had permanently settled in India before January 1, 1962, can also apply.
- The applicant belonging to India who has migrated from Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia with the intention of permanent settlement in India.
- The minimum age of a applicant to appear for the IES Exam should be 21 years.
- The maximum age of a applicant to appear for the IES Exam should be under 30 years.
- There is a relaxation in the upper age limit upto 5 Years if a applicants belongs to SC/ST category.
- There is a relaxation in the upper age limit upto 3 Years if a applicants belongs to OBC category.
- If a applicant is a domicile of Jammu & Kashmir from January 1, 1980, to December 31, 1989, there is a relaxation of 5 Years in upper age limit.
- There is a relaxation in upper age limit upto 5 years for the applicants belonging to Government Servants of following categories.
The IES Exam Paper can be divided into three major stages. The first stage is the IES Preliminary Exam, the Second stage is IES Mains Exam and the Third stage is Personality Test/Personal Interview. IES Applicant needs to clear all the three stage to become an IES.
- Based on the subjects, IES Pre Exam again separated into 2 Papers, Paper I and Paper II.
- Paper I contains objective type questions from the subjects General Studies & Engineering Aptitude of total 200 Marks. The duration to solve the paper is 2 Hours.
- Paper II is also an objective Type paper. The paper contains questions basically from Engineering Discipline of 300 Marks and the total duration to solve the Paper is 3 Hours.
- The IES Mains Exam also contains Two Papers, Paper I & Paper II:
- Paper I is a conventional Type exam of Total 300 Marks. All the questions are from the main engineering subjects in which the candidate applied. The duration to solve the exam is 3 Hours.
- Paper II is also a conventional Type exam of Total 300 Marks. All the questions are from the main engineering subjects in which the candidate applied. The time duration to write Paper II is 3 Hours.
Q: If my Branch in Engineering (B.E. / B.Tech.) is other than Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, then am I eligible to appear in IES examination?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible to appear in IES examination. It’s your decision to opt for any one Engineering branch to appear in the examination.
Q: How many attempts I can appear in IES Exams, my category in general?
Ans. There are no restrictions over the number of attempts. Your age limit is between 21 to 30 year.
Q: Is there any negative marking in IES?
Ans. In the objective paper (General Ability Test, and Objective paper I & II ) carry negative marking of 1/3rd.
Q: Are the question papers available in regional languages?
Ans. The Engineering Service Exam can be taken only in English and no other language.
Q: Will the centers be allotted according to the candidate’s preference?
Ans. Allotment of centers is strictly on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Q: Will the candidate get a refund if they decide to not appear for the test?
Ans. No refund will be provided by the Commission under any circumstances.
Q: Is a candidate with an Engineering degree in Production Engineering/ Chemical Engineering eligible for the Engineering Service Examination?
Ans. Yes, candidates with an engineering degree in any stream can apply and sit for the Engineering Service Exam.
These are the important dates of ISE exam:-
|1||Date of Notification||26.09.2018 (Wednesday)|
|2||Last Date for Receipt of Applications||22.10.2018 (Monday)|
|3||Date of Commencement of Exam (Preliminary)||06.01.2019 (Sunday)|
|4||Duration of Exam||1 Days|
|5||Date of Result of Exam (Preliminary)||April 2019|
|6||Date of Commencement of Exam (Main)||30.06.2019 (Sunday)|
|7||Duration of Exam||1 Days|
UPSC recruits an estimated of 500 engineers through IES Exam every Year. The expected number of vacancies is 500 in all the branches including the PH candidates. The selected candidates are posted as Group A, Group B officers in different sectors of different branches.
IES Selection Procedure is based on the performance of all the three stages. The candidate who clears all the three stages will be selected as IES. The applicant who clears the first stage (Pre Exam) will be proceeding to the second stage which is the Mains Exam. After clearing both the stages a final merit list will be released on the basis of IES cut off. The applicant who clears the cut off will proceed to the final stage which is a Personality Test.
The following stages are:
- Preliminary Examination
- Mains Examination
- Personality Test
Before applying for the exam you need to know about the syllabus. IES Exam Syllabus includes this Four section (Civil Engineering, Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering). Topics covered under this section are as follows:
Civil EngineeringBuilding Materials
Design of Steel Structure
Construction Practice & Management
Design of Concrete and Masonry Structures
Electronics & Telecommunication EngineeringBasic Electrical Engineering
Basic Electronics Engineering
Electronics Measurements & Instruments
Analog and Digital Circuits
Mechanical EngineeringThermodynamics & Heat Transfer
IC Engines, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration
Power Plant Engineering
Renewable Sources of Energy
Electrical EngineeringElectrical Materials
Electrical and Electronics Measurements
Electric Circuits and Fields
Basic Electronics Engineering
Civil EngineeringHydrology and Water Resource Engineering
Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines, Hydro Power
Geotechnical Engineering & Foundation Engineering
Surveying & Geology
Electronics & Telecommunication EngineeringControl Systems
Analog and Digital Communication System
Computer Architecture and Organisation
Advanced Communication Topics
Advanced Electronics Topics
Mechanical EngineeringMechanism & Machines
Design of Machines Elements
Mechatronics and Robotics
Manufacturing, Maintenance, Industrial Engineering
Electrical EngineeringSystems and Signal Processing
Analog and Digital Electronics
Power Electronics and Devices
The list of cities where the online mode of ISE exam is going to take place:
|Test Centers for ISE Exam|