All India law entrance test (AILET) is an entrance exam at university level for admission to B.A. LL.B (Hons.), LL.M, and Ph.D. programs. NLU Delhi is the organising body which also fixes the exam date. Nearly 20,000 law aspirants register each year. AILET is conducted every year on the first Sunday of May by NLU (National Law University).
NLU Delhi entrance test for law is conducted in offline mode. NLU Delhi is the only National Law University which conducts its own entrance test for law.
The eligibility criteria for the exam of AILET can be seen below:
- Applicants should have passed 10+2 or equivalent with a minimal 50% marks in aggregate. Candidates appearing for 10+2 exam in the year of admission may also apply.
- Applicants who have compartmental marks in any of the subjects in the qualifying exam is not eligible to apply.
- The applicant should also meet the age requirement criteria for the admission process. The age of the applicant must not be more than 21 years as on July 1, of the year of admission. There is age relaxation for SC/ ST category. The candidate belonging to these categories need to not be more than 23 years as on July 1, of the year of admission.
The Application Fees for the exam of AILET can be submitted through the online or offline mode of payment. The fee details are as follows:
|Reserved||1000 INR (However, BPL candidates hailing from SC/ST families shall be exempted from AILET 2017 Application Fees)|
The application procedure for the exam of AILET exam can be understood below:
- Visit AILET Official website i.e. nludelhi.ac.in
- Click on ‘Apply Online’ link.
- Fill the required details – Name, contact number, email ID, parents’ name, address and date of birth.
- After filling the form, click on the Registration button.
- You will be redirected to the Application Locker page, confirm the provided details.
- After that, you need to fill the form.
- Upload the scanned photograph.
- Click on “save” and proceed to the next step i.e. AILET Fee Payment.
- The application fee can be paid via Credit Card/ Debit Card and Net Banking mode.
- Applicants paying via Net banking will be forwarded to the respective bank’s site where your account details are verified and payment is approved.
The pattern of the AILET exam is given below in detail:
- Section English, GK, legal aptitude and Logical Reasoning will contain 35 questions each but the elementary mathematics and Numerical ability section will contain only 10 questions.
- The correct answer will be provided 1 mark and no marks will be deducted for wrong answers.
- Unattempted questions could be treated as incorrect and no marks will be provided for the same. The total marks of the test are 150.
Some reference books for the AILET exam are as follows:
- Analytical reasoning by M. K. Pandey
- Competition in focus
- CLAT magazine by Achievers Guild
- Lucent's GK
- Ace the CLAT for Legal Reasoning
- Legal GK by Manish Arora
Courses Under Exam
The courses under the exam of AILET are as follows:
These are some exam centers for the exam of AILET:
Some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) related to the exam of AILET are as follows:
Q: I am from OBC category and my son has a physical disability certificate. As he is also visually impaired if he writes AILET exam, will he get both the benefits at the time of admission. And do they allow physically disabled children to study?
Ans: Yes, your son can write the exam. But, he can avail only one of the benefits.
Q: How many marks will be awarded for the right answers?
Ans: One mark each will be awarded for each right answer. No marks will be deducted for any wrong answers.
Q: How many sections are there in the entrance paper?
Ans: The examination will be divided into five parts:
- General knowledge and Current affairs
- Legal Aptitude
- Elementary Mathematics with numerical ability
Q: Will there be any quota facility available?
Ans: Yes there is quota facility, 15% of total seats are reserved for SC candidates, 7.5% of the total are reserved for ST and 3% for a person with disabilities. 1 seat is be reserved for Kashmiri Migrants. 10 seats are reserved for foreign nationals.
Q: What is the mode of examination for AILET?
Ans: AILET is conducted in Offline Mode.
Q: What is the application fee for General Category candidates?
Ans: For General Category candidates, it is Rs. 3,000/-.
The syllabus for the exam of AILET can be seen below:
- English: Reading comprehension passages, synonyms, antonyms, idioms and phrases, Para- jumbles, vocabulary, fill in the blanks, etc. This section will test the candidate's language skill and vocabulary.
- General Knowledge: History, Geography, General Science, Economics, Civics and Current Affairs of the past year. Candidates should be well aware of national and international news, especially political and business affairs.
- Elementary Mathematics and Numerical Ability: Profit and Loss, Speed and Distance, Time and Work, Algebra, Average, Permutation and Combination and Venn Diagrams.
- Legal Aptitude: This section tests the student's interest in the study of law, research aptitude and problem-solving ability. The questions will be framed on legal propositions and set of facts satisfying the propositions.
- Logical Reasoning: Logical and analytical reasoning skills.
Cut-offs for AILET are as follows:
|Persons with Disability||42.75|
|Residents of Jammu and Kashmir|| 58|
AILET selection process comprises of the following stages:
- Applicants are shortlisted on the basis of the AILET merit list. After the declaration of the merit list, applicants are shortlisted for an offline counseling process. With the merit-cum-rank list of AILET, candidates can check their scores and AIR secured in the test.
- NLU-Delhi will then be conducting the counseling process for admissions to the undergraduate law programmes for the academic session 2016-21.
Documents to be Carried
Candidates called for AILET Spot Counselling are needed to be present at the AILET counseling venue. The meritorious candidates would require to verify the necessary documents including:
- Academic certificates
- Proof of residence
- Birth certificate
AILET is conducted by National Law University Delhi for 83 seats for the course of BA LLB, 40 seats for LLM course, every year in the month of May.
The important dates for the exam of AILET can be seen below:
|Issue of Notification||September 14, 2018|
|Commencement of Application form||January 4, 2019|
|End of application form||April 8, 2018|
|The issue of admit card||April 22, 2019|
|AILET 2019||May 5, 2019|
|Publication of Answer Key||Second week of May 2019*|
|Result for Foreign National Category||Third week of May 2019*|
|Result for BA LLB programme||Fourth week of May 2019*|
|The issue of admission letters begins for BA LLB programmes||Fourth week of May 2019*|
|Last date for depositing fee as per first admission list||Second week of June 2019*|
|Spot Counselling for BA LLB||Fourth week of June 2019*|
|Result for LLM programme||First week of July 2019*|
|Last date for depositing fee against spot counseling seats for BA LLB programme||First week of July 2019*|
|End of AILET 2018 BA LLB admission||Fourth week of July 2019*|
|Interview of selected candidates for BA LLB programme||Last week of July 2018*|
|Orientation programme of selected candidates||Last week of July 2018*|
|Commencement of classes||First week of August 2019*|
*Tentative dates; Subject to change