A National degree exam, GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a qualifying examination for admissions to post-graduate programs (e.g., M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian Institutes of Higher Education with financial assistance provided via MHRD and other government agencies. GATE scores may also be used by Public and private sector.
This examination tests the comprehensive understanding of candidate in numerous undergraduate subjects which includes Engineering/technology/architecture and post-graduate level subjects in science.
The examination which is conducted online, encompasses 23 papers. The exam papers had questions for which numerical answers should be keyed in via the candidate using the virtual keypad. However, the rest of the questions are of Multiple Choice question (MCQ) type.
The eligibility criterion for this exam is as follows:
- Bachelor's degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years following 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and the individuals who are in the last year of such programs.
- Bachelor's degree holders in architecture (5 years course) and the people who are in the last year of such programs.
- Bachelor's degree holders of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and the individuals who are in the last year of such projects.
- Applications or equivalent and the individuals who are in the last year of such programs Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer.
- Holders of Four-year Integrated Master's degree (Post B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and the individuals who are in the second or higher year of such programs.
- Holders of Five-year integrated M.Sc. or on the other hand Five-year coordinated B.Sc./M.Sc. degree and the individuals who are in the last year of such projects.
- Applicants with capabilities got through examinations directed by proficient social orders perceived by UPSC/AICTE/MHRD as identical to B.E./B.Tech. The individuals who have finished Section An of AMIE or likeness such expert courses are likewise qualified.
The application fees for all categories for this exam is as follows:
- Female Candidates: 750 INR
- SC/ST/PWD Category Candidates: 750 INR
- All Other Candidates: 1500 INR
The application procedure for this exam is as follows:
- Add the basic details and a unique GOAPS password.
- Candidates will receive a GOAPS Enrolment ID on their email ids which will be used in the future for logging in.
- This login can be used later for completing the application form at a later stage.
- The candidates also have to choose three cities for the test centers.
- Anyone would be allotted to the candidate.
- The candidate will have also to fill up the details of the valid ID proof like an Aadhar card.
- Upload the documents, signature, photograph and a thumbprint impression.
- Payment of the fees through E-challan /net banking.
- Application form can be corrected in the month of November. The correction will be made after the declaration of the exam. Candidates are strictly advised to check all the details before filling an application form.
The exam pattern for GATE is as follows:
|Section||Question No.|| No. of Questions|
- Total Questions: 65
- Total Marks: 100
- Total Duration : 3 hours
There are many study materials available related to this exam, some of them are given below:
- Engineering Thermodynamics - P.K. Nag Edition 5
- Introduction to Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Machines - S K Som, Gautam Biswas, S Chakraborty Edition 3
- Theory of Machines - S S Ratan Edition 4
- Strength of Materials - Dr. B.C. Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain, Arun Kumar Jain, Edition 10
- Production Technology - Manufacturing Processes, Technology and Automation - RK Jain Edition 17
There are many Test Centres for this exam, some of them are as given below:
GATE contains the following three subjects:
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
The expected cut-off's for this exam (GATE) for the year is as follows:
|Branch||General||OBC||SC/ ST/ PH Categories|
The procedure for selection is given below:
- Applicants need to secure the minimal cut-off marks for the admissions to postgraduate programs (Masters' and Doctoral).
- Applicants will be awarded a GATE score if they candidate qualify the cutoff.
- GATE cut off will be released by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati along with the declaration of GATE 2018 result.
- Admission will be done on the basis of the Normalized GATE score and the marks secured in the Interview.
Documents to be Carried
The following are the documents to be carried for GATE:
- Personal information
- Communication of Address with the PIN code
- Details of eligibility degree
- College name and address with PIN Code