KVPY is the national fellowship programme sponsored via the department of science and generation, authorities of India. It is the gateway that offers scholarship up to the pre-Ph.D level to the selected applicants. It is controlled and managed via the Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
Applicants are selected for fellowship on the basis of aptitude test and interview conducted via the Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
Detailed eligibility criteria are Given below:
Stream SA KVPY:
- Applicants who are currently in 11th standard with science subjects, who have obtained a minimum 75% marks in mathematics and science subjects in class 10 state/national board qualifying exam are eligible for KVPY. However, there is a relaxation of 5% given to applicants belonging to SC/ST/PWD.
Stream SX KVPY:
- Current year students of Class 12 studying should obtain 60% marks in the qualifying exam and 50% marks for SC/ST/PWD applicants. They should score 75% marks in class 10 and 65% qualifying marks for SC/ST/PWD applicants in an aggregate of all science subjects and mathematics
Stream SB KVPY:
- Applicants currently studying in the first year of Bachelor degree in Basic Sciences course had to obtain 60% marks in 10+2 qualifying exam (50% for reserved categories).
The application fee for KVPY are as follows:
- For General Category/OBC: Rs. 1000+KVAT @ 5.5% = Rs. 1055
- For SC/ST/PWD: Rs. 500+KVAT @ 5.5% = Rs. 528
The fee can be paid through Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking or Challan.
These are application procedure to apply for the exam of KPVY:
- Go to the official site.
- Click on the link “Online Application for KVPY”.
- Now, click on “Click here for Registration” link.
- On successful registration, applicant will receive the “User ID”and “Password” on the registered Email and Mobile No.
- Note down the User ID & Password for further use.
- Enter “User ID” & “Password”.
- Click on the “Login” button.
- Fill other details such as personal details, academic details and exam center preference.
- Upload Scanned photograph, signature and Cast/Disability certificate.
- After filling all the mandatory details, candidates can review all the details before submitting the application form. To review the application form Click on “Preview Application”.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- Re-login again with “User ID” & “Password” for fee payment.
- Select Payment mode.
- Candidates can submit the fee through Online (Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking) or Offline (Challan) mode.
- Click on the “Submit” button, after completion of fee payment.
- The applicant will get a message on top of the Application Form as “Your Application is under Scrutiny”.
KPVY exam pattern is as follows:
- Mode of Examination: Online
- Duration of Exam: 3hrs
- Type of Questions: MCQ
- Total questions: SA Paper - 80 & SB/SX Paper - 120
- Total Marks: SA Paper - 100 and for SB/SX paper - 160 marks
|Subjects||Total No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|PART I||PART II|
For KPVY, required topics in each subject are given below which will help in preparing for the exam:
In physics these are the reference:
- The best book is H.C. Verma the language is simple.
- One should study topics like Electrostatics, Magnetism, Gravitation, Optics.
In chemistry these are the reference:
- The 12th standard NCERT book is good enough to prepare.
- You can also refer to the class notes and Modern ABC of chemistry book also.
In mathematics these are the reference:
- There are various books available for practicing Math like R.D Sharma. Students must have theoretical knowledge also.
- You can also refer to the sample paper provided by the various publications.
- The applicant can give emphasis on topics like Functions, relations, quadratic equations, Series and progressions, P.C. and probability.
In biology these are the reference:
- You can refer to all the NCERT books of class 9th,10th along with this you can also refer Trueman's Elementary Biology – Vol. 1 for Class XI with Solved Value Based Questions.
These are some exam centers for KPVY:
- Durgapur-West Bengal
- Indore-Madhya Pradesh
- Jammu-Jammu and Kashmir
- Kanpur-Uttar Pradesh
- Kolkata-West Bengal
- Kurnool-Andhra Pradesh
- Lucknow-Uttar Pradesh
- Madurai-Tamil Nadu
- Salem-Tamil Nadu
- Siliguri-West Bengal
- Varanasi-Uttar Pradesh
- Vijayawada-Andhra Pradesh
- Visakhapatnam-Andhra Pradesh
Some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) related to the exam of KPVY are as follows:
Q: Can I apply for KVPY in an offline mode?
Ans. No, candidates can only fill online application form of KVPY as no other mode official mode to apply for KVPY is available.
Q: Is the online test allowing Hindi Language?
Ans. Yes, the computer-based exam will be conducted in two languages i.e. English and Hindi.
Q: Is the official provides Answer key and solution of KVPY?
Ans. Yes, Candidates can download the KVPY question paper, official answer key and solution within one week of the exam conducted.
Q: Is KVPY SX question paper and SB question paper the same?
Ans. Yes, they are the same.
Q: Can I give computer-based Test in Hindi Language?
Q: If the size of my photo and signature is exceeding the limit, what should I do?
Ans: Compress them and then upload.
Q: When can I get the application form?
Ans: The KVPY is publishing its detailed advertisement on 2nd Sunday of the month of July every year.
Q: What is the exam time?
Ans: For STREAM SA - Forenoon 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Candidates should report at 8:30 AM)
For STREAM-SB/SX - Afternoon 2 PM to 5 PM (Candidates should report at 1 PM)
The syllabus of KPVY is comprised of four Subjects:
Stream SA Syllabus:
This covers the topics & chapters of the 10th and 11th standard.
Syllabus of Stream A is given here:
- Physics: Magnetic Effects of Current, Sources of Energy, Reflection, Refraction, Electromagnetic Induction, Applications in Daily Life, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Physical World and Measurement, Gravitation, Thermodynamics.
- Chemistry: Chemical Reactions, Metals, and Non-Metals, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon Compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Environmental Chemistry.
- Biology: Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Heredity and Evolution, Reproduction, Life Processes, Our environment, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Human Physiology.
- Mathematics: Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Statistics, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Surface Areas & Volumes, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions.
Stream SX Syllabus:
Stream SX syllabus is a mixture of the 11th, 10th and 12th standard.
Syllabus of Stream B is given here:
- Physics: Reflection of Light, Electromagnetic Induction, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Sources of Energy, Physical World and Measurement, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Electrostatics, Refraction, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Magnetic Effects of Current.
- Chemistry: Surface Chemistry, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Metals and Non-Metals, Carbon compounds, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Chemical Reactions, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Periodic Classification of Elements.
- Biology: Cell Structure and Function, Genetics and Evolution, Life processes, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Reproduction, Human Physiology, Biology and Human Welfare, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Ecology and Environment.
- Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Real Number, Polynomials, Introduction to Trigonometry, Surface Areas & Volumes, Statistics, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions, Geometry, Linear Programming, Vectors and 3-D Geometry, Calculus, Relations, and Functions.
Stream SB Syllabus:
In this Stream, the KVPY exam covers all the corresponding syllabus of 10th, 11th,12th and 1st-year syllabus of undergraduate course.
Syllabus for stream SB syllabus is here:
- Physics: Electromagnetic Induction, Physical World and Measurement, Sources of Energy, Refraction, Applications in Daily Life, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Magnetic Effects of Current, Work, Energy and Power, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Reflection, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Waves & Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Electrostatics, Thermal Physics
- Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Metals and Non-Metals, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Surface Chemistry, Chemical Bonding, Chemistry of Noble Gases, Structure & Bonding, Alkenes, Cycloalkenes, Dienes and Alkynes .
- Biology: Life Processes, Human Physiology, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Genetics and Evolution, Our Environment, Ecology and Environment, Plant Physiology, Reproduction, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Biology and Human Welfare, Biotechnology, Genetics.
- Mathematics: Statistics, Surface Areas & Volumes, Vectors and 3-D Geometry, Calculus, Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions, Linear Programming, Relations and Functions., Analytical Geometry in Two Dimensions, Vector Algebra, Evaluation of Integrals.
Category wise cut off of KVPY is given below:
|Category||SA Stream||SB Stream||SX Stream|
Stream wise cut off of KVPY is given below:
|Category||SA Stream||SB Stream||SX Stream|
|General||55%& above||50%& above||55%& above|
|PwD||45%& above||34%& above||43%& above|
|SC/ST||45%& above||34%& above||43%& above|
The selection procedure for the exam of KPVY is as follows:
- The 1st stage of the selection procedure is an Aptitude test.
- KPVY exam is conducted in major cities in India.
- It will be conducted in both English and Hindi language.
- All the question will be in Multiple choice formats.
Applicants are called for an interview based on the aptitude test result. To attain scholarship applicant has to clear both aptitude test and interview.
Following weightage has been given to two sections:
- Aptitude Test – 75%
- Interview marks in the streams SA, SB, and SX - 25%
Documents to be Carried
Documents that you have to carry when you go to the examination hall for the exam of KPVY:
- ADMIT Card.
- Original ID Proof. School's Id card recommended. I advise you to take 2 different proof it would be helpful if there is any problem with one.
- No electrical devices, not even calculator there will be virtual calculators provided
- Sheets for rough work and pen will be provided. Still if allowed at center Carry your extra pen and it may be needed.
Category wise intake for KPVY is given below:
- 881 students of 11th standard
- 1554 students of 12th standard
- 96 students of graduation were given KVPY scholarship
These are the important dates of exam that applicant have to know about KPVY:
|Last date for the submission of online application||Last week of August 2019 (5:00 PM)|
|Admit Card Availability||2nd week of October 2019|
|Examination Date||1st week of November 2019|
|Tentative Answer Key Released on||4th week of November 2019|